Now in our 132nd season, Tuesday Musical is an anchor arts organization in Akron and one of the oldest and most-respected organizations of its kind in the United States. We present the world’s best classical musicians as well as vibrant education and community engagement programs.
On stage and throughout the community, Tuesday Musical is enticing and engaging generations of music lovers by bringing the world’s best music to Northeast Ohio.
Tuesday Musical presents three concert series, all with related Education and Community Engagement activities:
1) Tuesday Musical’s MainStage series features six concerts annually by nationally and internationally acclaimed musicians. Over the years we have presented Yo Yo Ma, Vladimir Horowitz, Imani Winds, Marilyn Horne, James Galway, Renee Fleming, Itzhak Perlman, Ann Hampton Callaway, Wynton Marsalis, Joshua Bell, and many more. Most of these concerts take place at E. J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall in Akron, and feature Concert Conversations with the musicians that help to inform and engage our audiences.
2) FUZE series concerts, three each season, engage audiences in unexpectedly delightful ways, often in smaller venues throughout the community.
3) An antidote to workplace stress, our Decompression Chamber series, launched in mid-2017, brings free chamber music concerts to employees and clients at high-pressure sites throughout the city — hospitals, financial institutions, government offices, factories, social service agencies, and more.
Engaging our Community throughout NE Ohio
In tandem with our concerts, Tuesday Musical engages people of all ages and backgrounds within and beyond the concert hall by providing an array of free Education and Community Engagement Programs. More than 5,000 students and adults benefit from these programs every year.
· Every season, Tuesday Musical’s guest artists also teach, perform and inspire during multi-day visits to K-12 schools, universities, libraries, retirement communities, workplaces and more.
· Students across Northeast Ohio can attend all Tuesday Musical concerts and education programs at no cost to them, thanks to our Student Ticket Voucher Program. Parents and chaperones may purchase reduced-priced companion seats so they can sit with their children.
· Tuesday Musical covers the cost of bus transportation for schools and groups bringing more than 20 students to any concert or engagement activity.
· Brahms Allegro, Tuesday Musical’s junior music club, encourages young musicians to develop their skills, perform for their peers, and compete in regional competitions.
· Tuesday Musical’s Annual Scholarship Competition for college and university students majoring in music performance and/or music education is widely recognized as the best in Ohio. Since starting the competition in 1955, Tuesday Musical has awarded more than 550 scholarships ranging from $500 to $2,000. In 2019, 20 students won scholarships totaling more than $25,000.
· Tuesday Musical is part of the prestigious and powerful Kennedy Center Partners in Education Program. As a result, we provide free arts education workshops to help teachers increase the artistic literacy of their students.