We will be closed for day visitors for Saturday and Sunday. (8-9/10/2022)
Monday back to normal.
GPS for Matroosberg: S 33.33012 E 19.61076 Grading of 4x4 Trail 4. Matroosberg Reserve PROUD winner of the KFM Best of the Cape Awards 2021
BEST TOURISM ATTRACTION, in the Western Cape as voted by 1million listeners.
We will be closed for day visitors for Saturday and Sunday. (8-9/10/2022)
Monday back to normal.
Slowly but surely, we are getting things in place for our expansion to the Touwsrivier Karoo. Watch this space🤩
Snow on Matroosberg and also the view from Matroosberg Karoo side.
The snow is not very thick, so it won’t last long once the sun comes out, but still beautiful to look at.😍❄️
Your Adventureyour way Explore the Mountainon beautiful trails Hiking Pathsnew paths to new experiences Snow TimeA Cool Experience Get Married!Enquire about our function and event facilities Welcome to Matroosberg The Matroosberg Private Nature Reserve is situated on the farm Erfdeel, which is a ful...
Snow is still on for late afternoon tomorrow.
Let’s see if this holds up.
As always, I will update Facebook first ❄️
Look at this…. This is the forecast for Sunday, Hello Spring😍
Good morning from a very cold Matroosberg.
We are sorry to inform you that our telephones are down and that we don’t have any snow at the moment.
Hopefully we will get the systems in the office up and running again.
Have a Blessed weekend and stay warm ❄️
A huge shout out to ESKOM who restored our power within hours, after they predicted that it might take as long as 2 days to restore power.
It’s beautiful with or without snow 😍
Eskom has just informed the Municipality that there was major theft and vandalism incident at their Witzenberg sub (Koue bokkeveld). All control and power cables were cut/stolen. This means that power will be off in the Ceres area until such time that repairs are effected. Please prepare for a very long outage, this is a major incident. Eskom will release a statement later.
Guys this means that we won’t have any electricity for at least 2 days, if you have made a booking with us, you will need to bring lights for the evenings and food that can go on the fire or bring you primus.
We are happy to announce that this situation will have zero effect in our Mountain units, there is will be business as usual 😍
We might however struggle with telephones and E-mails. Please be pasient🙏🏽🙏🏽
It’s cold and we can’t heat anything up or keep a place warm, please think if us in this challenging time.
Snow melted fast during the day. Not expecting more snow during the night.
We want to send a prayer of gratitude for the 21mm of rain we received. God is Great🙏🏽
Snow is thin, but it’s there ❄️
If……….. you are willing to hike in bad rainy weather, you might be able to reach this. But it will depend on how far you are willing to hike and if you are willing to get wet, as it’s still raining. It’s not a lot of snow, but if you have Never seen snow, you might be impressed.
The day is not ideal for youngsters and the elderly❄️❄️
Snow has been SOLD OUT before 8am already.
This picture is in the mountain, we do however sell amazing pancakes, jaffels, hot chocolate, coffee and tea at The Eatery.
If you drove here anyway, you can just as well pop in to grab some snow food. See it as a practice round for the real snow fall.
This is the amount of snow right at the foot of the mountain.
IT IS NOT WORTH SPENDING A TANK OF FUEL TO COME AND SEE NOTHING😢
As much as we want you to pay us a visit, we really can’t face a lot of disappointed people, as we are disappointed ourselves, but then on the other hand, we hope the rain will push our dam levels to the 50% mark of what we need for the coming season.
The fraught has us on our knees, so I promised God that I will not be asking for snow, if it could only rain a bit. So actually, I’m happy at the moment, because the rain is still coming down constantly, drenching the thirsty soil🙏🏽 We thank God for the Blessing of rain🙏🏽
NO GROUND LEVEL SNOW.
The Rain came and washed it all away.
I cannot see anything on the mountain, but the rain was constant during the night, so I’m also not expecting snow below 1880m and that is as high as we can drive at the moment.
Sorry Guys, at least we now know that winter didn’t forget about us, it’s just late.
Better luck next time❄️❄️
And just like that, it started to snow😍😍😍😍
We will update early morning to say if there is still ground level snow❄️❄️ Gates will open at 7am in the morrow❄️❄️
Ps: GROUND LEVEL SNOW, means you can park in the snow with a normal vehicle. THat will be gets, polo, mini, picanto etc.
High snow levels: means you need a proper 4x4 with low range, no Low profile tyres (I don’t care what they told you in the show room) NO all wheel drives like X5 or Audi, or Other damn expensive all wheel drives. Af all wheel drive, does not mean 4x4.
Trust you understand 💪🏽
Matroosberg this morning.
Then just a friendly reminder.
NO POST = NO SNOW
There is NO way we wil forget to post if there is snow, as we have almost 75k people watching our page to see what’s happening on the snow front.
The second cold front is still approaching, but it’s not expected to reach us soon.
We are standing on attention, ready with food and drinks, but now, we need to wait, just like you, for the approaching cold front😢
The circled part is what is upsetting as they make it sound like it’s happening now, which it ain’t. I don’t want to pic fights with anyone, but I won’t have my name abused for news that’s not news yet. It’s not fair to me, my staff, nor my guests - the public.
How do you expect me to explain to EVERYONE who took this the wrong way, why they have wasted money on already unaffordable fuel and all the broken promises to children.
Not one person responsible will be here to say, sorry we didn’t check what was written underneath an old picture. No, it will be me, facing the music on my own, while the news outlet will just continue to do what they do. And while all of that is happening, I’m expected to hand our free meals and drinks, just in order for guests, not to leave Matroosberg with a foul taste in the mouth.
You do not mess around with other peoples emotions. It’s not fair.
Guys Guys Guys. Hold your horses. I’ve never seen such FALSE news ever.
It is NOT snowing yet, I have NO idea where this picture was taken, and there is NO bumper to bumper traffic through Ceres at the moment.
It is not snowing yet🤦🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️ We Will be the first to give a a verified update on snow.
Gosh, can’t even trust the news in SA anymore 😬
We even have distance support. 💪🏽💪🏽
My support team has been here since 6am. Waiting waiting waiting….
Latest snow prediction for this weekend.
I don’t expect ground level snow and the mountain might only get a dusting, but these predictions has been wrong in the past, so let’s hope that the forces of nature will be kind to us❄️
This is why I will close down Matroosberg to all off road vehicles.
Buggerall respect for the amount of money and the time to prepare fields for the next season.
No respect for the fact that we are 100% depended on nature, we don’t have a monthly salary, we don’t get 13th cheques, nor bonuses, but somehow, you just don’t care.
Dammit, are you really this stupid?? You really think this is ok??
Were you really brought up to destruct and abuse.
You are disgusting and are spoiling the fun for every other person and you are costing me a small toilet full of money.
That’s so not on and NOT COOL. Sies-ga man. Flippet.
The post we’ve ALL been waiting for, is eventually here. Snow forecast actually talks about the possibility of ground level snow.
Now… it’s been a LONG time since we did this. We might be slightly rusted.
But here goes.
An automated reply with the latest snow news will be available on the next number. 0824539841. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS NOT A CHAT ROOM, you cannot ask questions about accommodation or if red wellingtons perform better in snow than yellow ones etc.
No extra hand Will be available to answer those questions.
To help you I will answer some of the basic questions here, NOW, not next weekend, as then we will be too busy to camp out on FB.
• Red and yellow Wellington boots are equally fine for snow, the red ones are only easier to spot if it got lost.
• Car keys that was not in a pocket with a WORKING Zip, has a tendency to hide in the snow and lots of times, Never to be found again😕
• Expensive wedding rings, LOVES to travel with snowballls…
• You will have to wait in a que, but if you recently paid a visit to an internal affairs office, this will be a ‘sit’ in the park.
• You can’t jump the que. it’s rude, it upsets the owner, it spoils the day for others.
• Don’t drink too much hot chocolate on your way here, the first bathrooms are only at the end of the que😬
• If a vehicle is left in the que WITHOUT a driver, we won’t get a wheelclamp, you will get a dummy award sticker A2 size stuck on you windshield and just a Headsup. The glue on that thing sticks much better in cold weather, that’s something we will have ample of.
• The menu’s at the Eatery will not be available, we will only serve things that you can crab and go. Jaffels, pies, pancakes, coffee, hot chocolate and tea. NO fancy stuff, which takes time to prepare, but we will have a variety.
• Don’t ask about the 4x4 trail just yet, as the amount of snow, will Have an impact on that decision.
• Pack your swimming costume for our heated pool and for the parka and bikini competition. T’&C’s will apply and this competition is NOT open for any person under the age of 18 and NO pictures of children would be allowed.
• If a post says GROUND LEVEL SNOW it means you can reach snow with your Getz, Polo or Audi. So you don’t have to ask if your Mini Cooper will be able to reach snow (it only makes you sound like a show off, cause you know I can’t afford one🤪)
• If we would post that the HIKE TO THE SNOW is about 30min… that’s when it gets tricky. Even if you phone and ask us directly (maybe FaceTime would be better) but it would be rude of us to ask what you weigh, do you Love the outdoors and take regular hikes or are you glued to your cellphone mostly, following our FB page and watching Netflix. Soooo you will have to be your own judge here. First question you should ask yourself is if you have decent hiking boots or proper tekkies? If NOT, that’s normally a good indication that you are not as active as you think😕
• kids 5 years and older, normally have to wait for their parents on the hike, but same rule on activity will apply to children.
• How long Will the snow last? This will depend on the amount of snow, the Amount of guests, the temperature etc. But snow WILL melt, end of story. You cannot rock up at 17:00 wanting to play in the snow. Hikers can only enter until 14:00 on a good snow day and this entrance time will be moved on a daily basis and can be as early as noon, if the snow is much higher up.
• Bring a bag for rubbish and take your rubbish home with you. Our Municipality don’t to garbage removal up here. DO NOT LITTER, this is a Nature Reserve. Cigarette ends go into your pocket or I will personally stick them in your ear. That’s littering and disgusting. Please help us to protect the beauty of nature.
• Don’t drink and drive and PLEASE don’t go onto open fields ‘kapping’ some doughnuts as the field you are playing on, has a new crop under the snow, and we do have means to find you. That’s not a nice or cheap experience
Guys this is like the snow Bible for Matroosberg only. Other places will have their own Do’s&Don’t’s but please respect the fact that we open our private property to you the public.
We love having you here and we can’t wait to serve you, but let’s make it an positive experience for all involved😍❄️❄️❄️❄️
Matroosberg Private Nature Reserve
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit.
Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Matroosberg Reserve posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Send a message to Matroosberg Reserve:
Matroosberg Reserve is situated on a Family owned Working Farm, paying us a visit, you will experience the effort that goes into farming as well as the tranquility of what nature has to offer. We can accommodate up to 250 people and another 300 camping.
We are also a well known wedding venue - who is mostly known for NOT be highly expensive, we bend backwards to accommodate all your needs, we don’t have a set of strict rules with times and cleaning the venue etc... in fact, having you wedding at Matroosberg is not a wedding, it turns into a Wedding Festival, that lasts a weekend.
Our 4x4 trail is one of the Top 3 in SA, the most used trail in SA and the only trail which offers Marshall’s for beginners.
Matroosberg Reserve features nr 8 in the book, The Bucket List and we are always looking at ways to grow and answer to our customers needs.
Matroosberg Reserve is the place where guests book in and friends leave...